First things first, for those who pay attention to the tags, try to figure out where Lawrence Welk figures in. :) (Sorry!)
This weekend was Diane and Tim's wedding. On Friday Jason and I left our apartment a little after 7, stopped the ATM and Chick-Fil-A on our way to the Fayetteville Regional Airport--as you can probably tell by the word "regional" it's huge. When we got there, the fabulous security point wasn't open yet--8:45 is when they say they open, but the guy didn't let us go through until 8:50, what a liar! So we waited. Between two groups of military men. Who were in an argument. Apparently, they'd gone out to a strip club Thursday night, gotten drunk, and then some of them left one behind. But he was with other people, who had cars, and could take him home. Then they left him (and some others) behind in the morning when they went to the airport. Once again, he was left with other people who had cars. But for some reason, despite his ability to get rides home and to the airport, he was angry. And the one in front of us kept making snarky comments that I felt were justified--I think the one guy was overreacting just a tad.
So we got on the plane--one of those little ones that only hold 50 people. And have no closet. So if you have a dress in a garment bag, you have to shove the bag into the overhead compartment. Nice. The worst thing about the 55 minute flight from Fayetteville to Atlanta is that it was Jason's first time flying and he sat in row 5 and I sat in row 11. So I couldn't even say comforting things like "that's okay, those are just the wheels coming up/going down" "they're just adjusting the wings" or "those noises are totally normal." We did get to sit together for our other 3 flights. In Atlanta, Jason and I were both a bit testy from only getting 3 hours of sleep the night before. That was fun. But I got ice cream from Ben and Jerry's, so I was okay.
We landed in Bloomington, IL, at about 1:30 (central time again!!) after a 1 hour and 17 minute flight. We had a car reserved for us from Enterprise, but they're not actually IN the airport and we couldn't even figure out where they were, so I decided to just forget it and get another one from Budget. Budget, my ass--it ended up costing 4 times as much. But we did get a GPS unit for the car, which was extremely helpful in getting us to our hotel and back to the airport. It didn't seem to know the best route to the church, though. After arriving in Morton, we went to Wal-Mart to pick up some stuff we didn't pack, like travel size deodorant for Jason, a toothbrush for me, and a disposable camera. We were also wasting time since we couldn't check into the hotel for a while. We had lunch at Culver's, which was delicious, as always.
Once we got into our hotel room, Jason laid down for a nap and I read. (I read 719 of the 754 pages in Breaking Dawn between leaving Fayetteville on Friday and landing on Sunday!) I went to the rehearsal alone, since Jason was still sleeping and had no intention of getting up anytime soon. I was so happy to see Diane again!! And to see Laura and Tim!! The rehearsal was fun and entertaining. The dinner afterwards was so yummy. I had a couple of pieces of lasagna and a whole bunch of sweet bread. After that was all over, Diane and Laura "followed" me back to the hotel (this would've worked better if I hadn't taken the wrong exit and possibly let the people who were actually from the area lead) so I could get my stuff and leave the car for Jason. Then we went over to Diane's for the night. Did I mention it was 47 degrees? And that I was wearing a knee length skirt, t-shirt, and sandals because it was about 80 degrees when we left that morning? It was cold.
On Saturday morning, we got going about 10. Yeah, we left at the same time that our hair appointment was. So what? There was another bridal party in ahead of us anyway. They were late, so that pushed our appointment back. I didn't know what I wanted done with my hair, so it helped that there were 2 women there who had their hair done awesomely. We got our hair done, did a quick Starbucks run, and got our butts over to the church for lunch. After our lunch, we got dressed and then proceeded to get Diane dressed. I swear, her dress weighed about 30 pounds. And it took almost all of us (bridesmaids and her mom) to get her into it. To keep this shorter than a novel, I'll just say my favorite parts of the rest of the day.
So we got on the plane--one of those little ones that only hold 50 people. And have no closet. So if you have a dress in a garment bag, you have to shove the bag into the overhead compartment. Nice. The worst thing about the 55 minute flight from Fayetteville to Atlanta is that it was Jason's first time flying and he sat in row 5 and I sat in row 11. So I couldn't even say comforting things like "that's okay, those are just the wheels coming up/going down" "they're just adjusting the wings" or "those noises are totally normal." We did get to sit together for our other 3 flights. In Atlanta, Jason and I were both a bit testy from only getting 3 hours of sleep the night before. That was fun. But I got ice cream from Ben and Jerry's, so I was okay.
We landed in Bloomington, IL, at about 1:30 (central time again!!) after a 1 hour and 17 minute flight. We had a car reserved for us from Enterprise, but they're not actually IN the airport and we couldn't even figure out where they were, so I decided to just forget it and get another one from Budget. Budget, my ass--it ended up costing 4 times as much. But we did get a GPS unit for the car, which was extremely helpful in getting us to our hotel and back to the airport. It didn't seem to know the best route to the church, though. After arriving in Morton, we went to Wal-Mart to pick up some stuff we didn't pack, like travel size deodorant for Jason, a toothbrush for me, and a disposable camera. We were also wasting time since we couldn't check into the hotel for a while. We had lunch at Culver's, which was delicious, as always.
Once we got into our hotel room, Jason laid down for a nap and I read. (I read 719 of the 754 pages in Breaking Dawn between leaving Fayetteville on Friday and landing on Sunday!) I went to the rehearsal alone, since Jason was still sleeping and had no intention of getting up anytime soon. I was so happy to see Diane again!! And to see Laura and Tim!! The rehearsal was fun and entertaining. The dinner afterwards was so yummy. I had a couple of pieces of lasagna and a whole bunch of sweet bread. After that was all over, Diane and Laura "followed" me back to the hotel (this would've worked better if I hadn't taken the wrong exit and possibly let the people who were actually from the area lead) so I could get my stuff and leave the car for Jason. Then we went over to Diane's for the night. Did I mention it was 47 degrees? And that I was wearing a knee length skirt, t-shirt, and sandals because it was about 80 degrees when we left that morning? It was cold.
On Saturday morning, we got going about 10. Yeah, we left at the same time that our hair appointment was. So what? There was another bridal party in ahead of us anyway. They were late, so that pushed our appointment back. I didn't know what I wanted done with my hair, so it helped that there were 2 women there who had their hair done awesomely. We got our hair done, did a quick Starbucks run, and got our butts over to the church for lunch. After our lunch, we got dressed and then proceeded to get Diane dressed. I swear, her dress weighed about 30 pounds. And it took almost all of us (bridesmaids and her mom) to get her into it. To keep this shorter than a novel, I'll just say my favorite parts of the rest of the day.
- Justin sweeping up the pieces of paper while we were taking wedding party photos after the ceremony
- Holding up Diane's dress with Laura so she could pee
- Watching everyone on the dance floor act like chickens during the chicken dance
- Stuffing napkins into the toes of my shoes so my feet wouldn't fall out while I walked down the aisle
On Sunday, Jason and I were able to get up slightly later than we did on Friday, since our plane didn't leave until about 1:30. The flight from Bloomington to Atlanta was 1 hour and 14 minutes this time, because we had a bit of a tailwind. Then we had a lovely 2 hour layover. During this layover I called lots of people who might be able to look up my library's phone number for me (yes it's in my phone now), so I could call and find out when I worked today. Thanks to Tara for answering the phone! Then we got on our flight to Fayetteville. Late. The plane was late coming in from Moline. And then we had to wait because one of the soldiers happened to notice that her (and others') gear was being taken back off the airplane. So the pilot went out to see what that was all about. Apparently those tiny jets have tiny cargo areas to match the tiny-ness. And so they were repacking the luggage, to make sure that the soldiers' gear and weapons made it on there, as they were being deployed to Iraq today. We ended up leaving probably 20 minutes late, and had our 48 minute flight. Woo!
So, that in a very very very large nutshell was the weekend.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment