Saturday, October 25, 2008

Is it okay to scream fire in an empty library?

My phone rang this morning. At 6:30. As this is not a time I am normally awake, I ignored it. Until I heard my branch manager's voice saying there had been a fire and that my branch is closed. I had three different branches to choose from to work at today and tomorrow. I chose the one that is closest to me--it took me 10 minutes to drive here. (Yes, I drove. Jason's car.) Here's what I know:

  • the fire alarm went off about 4:30 this morning
  • the fire apparently started in the deputy director's office
  • we're closed because of smoke damage
  • I've heard the fire stayed in the basement, so hopefully no books were damaged--but that's where cataloging is, as well as the discard and Friends book sale rooms
I don't know how long the library will be closed. I just know that I'm working at North Regional today and tomorrow. I hope it'll be open again on Monday, but if not, I'm sticking with this branch until it is open. Apparently, North is going to be understaffed this week anyway, so a selection of Headquarters people here wouldn't be bad for them.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online

Creative Commons License
Erika the badass librarian by Erika Earp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.