I just finished a book called Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World Domination. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it made me think. The first thing it made me think about was Wakers. The author (Hugh MacLeod) talks about Wakers--people who make other people motivated, inspired, awake, and alive just by being around them. I'm 99% positive I'm not a waker. This is because I know two wakers, and I'm pretty sure I'm not like them, at least not in this way. My wakers are Tony Molaro and Leah White--two of my friends from library school. The two of them make me want to get up and do something. I'm not sure what that something is, but they inspire me.
The other thing the book made me think about is how I'm not doing what I love. I love to sit and make things. And read. I need to figure out a way to make a living by making things and reading. I guess for now all I can do is make stuff and have a stockpile and get a booth at a craft fair? And, um, review books--the key here is to figure out how to get paid for reviewing them. I already have a shop on Etsy, but I'm never going to make enough off of there to be able to quit my job. I fear that I will never be one of those lucky people who gets to do what they love. I hope that one day I'll be able to love what I do instead. It's like the song says: if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Monday, April 25, 2011
wakers and such
Posted by Erika at 12:24 PM
Labels: book review, books, crafts, favorite things, librarians, work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment