Sunday, March 6, 2011

I love my job

During library school, I always said I'd be any kind of librarian: if a library was willing to pay me, I'd be willing to work for them. I didn't care if it was a special library, public, academic, or wherever else would need a library. And, while I'd still love to experience different library workplaces (variety is the spice of life!), some days I absolutely love love love being a public librarian. Especially the library I work in right now. And it's mostly the patrons that make me love it. Yeah, the workroom environment is amazing, but if you work with the public, your coworkers can't be the only reason you like going to work every day. Here are 3 of the people who make my job awesome:

  • Tony from the group home (or maybe it's an adult daycare, I don't really know)--he's so friendly and happy and he makes me smile when I see him
  • the guy from the same group as Tony, whose name I can't remember, who LOVES finding pictures of giant refineries around the world--he saw me at Wally World one afternoon and stopped to tell me all about this refinery in South Korea he saw online and said he was going to try to find it again at the library so he could show me
  • Stapler Guy (I am really bad about knowing people's names)--when I see him coming, I put the stapler up on the counter and he laughs--one day he threw me and asked for the staple remover as well
  • Gloria and Lou--a couple in their 80s from Minnesota (snowbirds) who needed help learning how to use the laptop one of their daughters bought for them--they've had book a librarian appointments with JT, Robin and me, and we all absolutely love them--JT and I both would like to have them be our additional grandparents because they're so darn cute
Sure, there are some patrons who make me want to go home and curl up in a ball, like the woman who said JT and I were the devil, but the people who are nice and friendly usually will overshadow them.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online

Creative Commons License
Erika the badass librarian by Erika Earp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.